After the baby is delivered, most of the women try shedding all the pregnancy weight by various methods and get back to their pre-pregnancy body. One of those methods used by women in the post-pregnancy belt, which specifically targets the loose skin and fat around the belly.
Is Post Pregnancy Belt Effective?
What Is Meant By “Abdominal Wrapping or Tying the Stomach After Delivery”?
It is believed that tying the stomach after delivery for a long time, will tighten the abdominal muscles and reduce swelling, as well as provide support to the back. During pregnancy, the walls of the abdomen stretch to accommodate the growing uterus, and these over-stretched muscles do not contract immediately on their post-delivery, leaving behind flabby skin and fat around the abdomen. Therefore, wrapping the abdomen with a cloth or a postpartum belt is believed to help tighten and strengthen these muscles.
What Are the Different Types of Binding?
Traditionally, clothes were tightly wrapped around the belly after pregnancy. However, today, there are several different types of binds available for you to choose the one that suits you.
1. Wraps- These could be used immediately after delivery and are made up of cloth.
2. Corsets- Usually worn under dresses, corsets are extremely tight and may exert a lot of pressure on the pelvic floor, as well as the organs within the abdominal cavity, hence they are not recommended for long-term use.
3. Belts or Splints-These are more modern options; they are adjustable and have Velcro fastening for easy use. They also allow you to adjust the tightness to apply only the required pressure on your stomach.
What is a Post Pregnancy Belt?
A post-pregnancy belt is a wrap tied around your stomach, post-delivery, to offer support to your abdominal organs and muscles. It helps in tightening up loose muscles and pushes the organs back to position.
When Can You Start Tying Your Stomach After Pregnancy?
It is best to consult your doctor about when the right time to start typing your stomach. Some doctors suggest that women should wait at least for a day post-delivery before they begin tying their stomachs.
1. After a Normal Delivery- If you’ve had a normal delivery, you can start tying your stomach within a few hours after giving birth.
2. After a C-section- If you’ve had a C-section, it is advisable to wait until the wound has considerably healed, before tying your stomach. This might mean waiting for at least six to eight weeks. Consult with your doctor before buying a belt or a wrap.
How Does a Post-Pregnancy Belt Help in Reducing the Belly?
Although there is limited scientific evidence to back the use of postpartum belts, their popularity stems from cultures around the world that traditionally advocate using one.
Some post-pregnancy belt uses are:
- Tummy fat reduction
- Posture enhancement
- Tummy muscle toning
- Internal organs support
- Back support and back pain reduction
- Tummy tucking or body shaping
- Better comfort for movement after delivery
What Are the Risks Involved in Using a Post-Pregnancy Belt?
Post-pregnancy belts push in the extra fat gained during pregnancy, for a flatter tummy and reduced bump. However, several doctors advise not to use these belts just after delivery, because of the following risks involved:
- It exerts excess pressure on the uterus, which may cause bleeding
- It causes rashes and itching around the region where the edges of the belt press into the skin
- Excessive usage of the belts throughout the day may lead to pain and discomfort
- The wounds may take at least six to eight weeks to completely heal after a C section. Using the belt before the internal wounds have healed may lead to complications.
- The constant pressure on the abdomen can develop a hernia.
Is a Post Maternity Belt Comfortable?
All the women who’ve used the post-pregnancy belt will agree that these are not comfortable. Using them can even be painful at times, as they are wrapped around your stomach tightly, for the desired results. If you’ve had a C-section, using the belt could cause many complications as they exert a lot of pressure over the area where the incision was made. The belt might also slip out of position now and then, requiring constant adjustment.
Things to Consider About Postpartum Belts
There are many factors to consider while buying the right postpartum belt for your body. Some of the things to keep in mind, before making the big decision are:
1. Consult Your Doctor - It is essential to consult your doctor before using a post-pregnancy belt, who can give you the correct advice as every woman’s body is different and it might not work for you keeping your condition in mind.
2. Continue Wearing the Wrap Over a Few Weeks - The belly wrap doesn’t give instant results, and it must be worn for at least 5-6 weeks before you start seeing a difference. However, it should be used in moderation and not all day long.
3. Look For Adjustment Options- While buying the belly wrap, choose the adjustable one. This way your belt will be just as tight as you require, without causing any injuries.
Using a maternity belt after delivery can help you get back into shape. However, it is not an add-on to a good diet and exercise. Using a belt can help you move around better and assist you to work out better, but these postpartum belts should not be considered as a tool for instant weight loss. They should be used in moderation and you should avoid putting your abdomen under constant pressure, all day long. Also, consult your doctor to learn the best ways to use the belt for better results.
These delightfully crisp and fresh Walnuts are brought to you by Tower. These shelled walnuts are the best source of nutrition and consuming them on a regular basis may help you to reduce stress and to maintain your ideal weight over time because of their richness in Vitamin-E and Anti-oxidants.
Tower roasted pistachio is a nutritious and wholesome wonder snack experience. Being one of the lowest in calories, they are a rich source of energy. Regular consumption of these pistachios may help lowering total as well as bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels in the blood due to their high protein content and balanced amounts of essential amino acids.
Tower Mamra Almond Kernels are the King of Almonds. They are one of those superfoods which become the warehouse of proteins. It benefits the brain cells and helps to increase insulin sensitivity in people. Munching on these instead of oily food is a great option because of their high nutritional value. It is grown 100% organically and is great for baking delicious cookies, cakes, and chocolates, etc.
Published on: 22nd July 2021