Broccoli is a nutrition-rich vegetable, packed with vitamins and minerals. Incorporating broccoli in your child’s regular diet will ensure their proper growth and development.
How to include Broccoli in your child’s diet?
Broccoli appears to be one of those foods that we all want to feed to our kids, but they don’t always want to eat because many kids are not big fans of broccoli. So Mommunity, this article brings you some delicious recipes to include in your kid's diet. These healthy broccoli recipes will help you in many ways to serve broccoli to your toddlers and older kids that have a strong chance of actually being eaten!
Healthy Broccoli Recipes for Kids
These broccoli recipes are flavoursome, yummy, and yet not too crunchy or spicy. Chose them with keeping little kids in mind and aim to include a range of flavours and texture options so you can pick the ones that seem like they’d be the most appealing to your child.
1. Broccoli and Cheese Frittata Fingers
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 75g / 1 cup grated courgette / zucchini
- 50g / 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 25g / 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs
- Preheat to oven 180c / 350f. Grease the baking dish using parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the courgette and broccoli to fry them lightly for 3-4 minutes until they are soft.
- In a bowl mix the cheese, flour and herbs with the cooked courgette and broccoli.
- Pour this mixture into the lined baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool before cutting into fingers or squares.
2. Broccoli Pasta Pesto
- 2 cups broccoli florets (raw)
- 1 cup parsley or basil leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest (grated)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend well, until the mixture is a thick paste, or for 60-90 seconds. It should be uniform and without any large chunks.
- Add salt if required.
- Toss it with 1 pound of pasta prepared according to the package directions, to serve with pasta.
- Spread about ½ cup over raw pizza dough and prepare as you would any other pizza to serve as a pizza sauce.
3. Broccoli Pizza Crust
For the crust:
- 1 medium head broccoli cut into florets
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella sliced or shredded
- Pizza toppings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the broccoli florets in a food processor and pulse until the broccoli is in fine crumbs. Transfer to a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover the broccoli and microwave until it is steamed. Transfer it to a large, clean kitchen towel after it cools down. Wrap the towel around the broccoli to squeeze out the liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl add the broccoli, eggs, Parmesan, nutritional yeast, shredded mozzarella, Italian seasoning, and salt and combine well. Transfer the mixture to the centre of the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is set on top.
- Remove from the oven and add the desired toppings. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes until the cheese is hot and melted. Slice and enjoy!
4. Broccoli Tots
- 1 cup broccoli florets (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice (fully cooked)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup Italian-flavored or regular breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet using parchment paper.
- Pour some boiling water over the broccoli in a heat-safe bowl. Drain well after some time.
- Add the broccoli, rice, cheese, Parmesan, and breadcrumbs to the bowl of a food processor and grind well to make a uniform batter. Add salt and either Italian seasoning if desired.
- Place1-tablespoon-size ovals on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes until firm to the touch and lightly golden brown. Let cool slightly and serve.
5. Cheesy Broccoli Bites
- 2 cup broccoli, florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2-ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Steam broccoli just until fork-tender.
- Add the ingredients except for oil to a food processor; blend just until finely chopped and form them into balls.
- Fry the balls in hot oil, with a spatula. Cook both sides until crispy.
6. Broccoli Pot Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1cup finely chopped medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons flour (maida)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add butter in a large saucepan and once it’s hot, add minced garlic, onions and sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Add the flour and sauté for a minute.
- Add shredded carrot, chopped broccoli, salt, crushed black pepper, water and stir.
- Bring it to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is very tender. This should take about 25-30 minutes
- Stir in the cheese and milk, once it is tender and let the cheese melt and the soup simmer for 2 minutes. Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is ready to serve
7. Broccoli Paneer Paratha
For the Dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (Chapati flour)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
For the Broccoli Paneer filling:
- 1 cup shredded Broccoli (boiled)
- 1 cup grated paneer
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds(jeera) powder
- Red chilli powder to taste
- Garam masala to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Firstly, blanch or steam the broccoli florets. Then chop the broccoli finely.
- Mix wheat flour, salt and oil in a bowl and knead together with some water to make a soft dough. Apply oil over the dough and leave it for at least 15 mins.
- Mix all the ingredients listed for the Broccoli Paneer Filling in a bowl.
- Divide the dough into equal portions. Dust and roll the dough ball to make a circle.
- Add the filling in the centre of the circle and then bring the ends together and roll gently to make parathas.
- Heat a griddle/Tawa and apply oil or ghee and cook until nicely browned.
8. Pizza Pockets with Broccoli and Cheese
- Store-bought pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pour boiling water over the broccoli and drain after 2-3 minutes and squeeze dry.
- Coat the dough with flour as needed and flatten it into a disc.
- Place 1 teaspoon pizza sauce and 2 heaping tablespoons each broccoli and cheese into the centre. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan.
- Enclose the fillings in the dough and place the pockets onto a lined baking sheet and use a fork to poke a few holes in the top of each to allow steam to escape.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the pockets for 20-22 minutes.
9. Broccoli Paneer Bhurji Sandwich
- 1 cup crumbled paneer
- 1 cup broccoli finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- Add the and fry in a hot oil pan for a minute. Add the onions to the sauté.
- Mix the finely chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Add the chopped broccoli and cook covered for 1-2 minutes followed by crumbled paneer and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take bread slices, apply some butter and spread 2 tablespoons of broccoli paneer bhurji mixture between the slices and place it on hot buttered Tawa and toast well.
10. Broccoli Spinach Soup
- 1 cup Broccoli chopped (around 15 florets)
- 1 cup Spinach (Palak) chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium Sweet Onion finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black/white pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Sauté the garlic and onion in a buttered saucepan over medium heat.
- Add broccoli, sauté for 2 minutes and then add water cook, covered till broccoli florets are tender, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add Spinach, cheese, milk, salt and pepper to taste, stir well and bring it to boil and turn off the gas.
- Blend the soup until smooth and serve.
Published on: 22nd July 2021