Fever in baby can be scary but don’t worry mama we are here to help you. This article will help you to know how safely you can treat your infant’s first fever.
How to break fever in babies: Simple and Effective Tips
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), normal body temperature for a healthy baby is between 97 deg and 100.4 deg Fahrenheit (36deg to 38deg Celsius). A fever would be any temperature that rises to 100.4° F or above.
When taking baby’s temperature, mommies you should use a rectal thermometer as your infant's ears to small that you cannot get the accurate reading with an ear thermometer.
Common causes of fever in babies
- Loss of appetite
- Signs of an earache
- Unusual fussiness
- Vomiting or diarrhea
When to call your Pediatrician?
- If your baby is younger than 3 months than call your pediatrician immediately! A Fever in a baby this young could mean a serious condition. A recent study by AAP says that call your pediatrician if your baby is between 3 -6 months and has a fever of 101deg F (38.3deg C) or higher.
- The child has a fever and a rash.
- For babies who are 1 year and above, call a pediatrician in case fever last more than 24 hours
- The soft spot on the child’s skull is bulging
- If your child has a severe infection. It may include blood or immune disorders, or any child who has not received the routine immunizations.
How to treat babies fever without medicine?
- Place a damp washcloth on your baby’s forehead while they are sleeping. This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat fever in an infant.
- Try and give the baby a lukewarm bath in the tub or you can also give a sponge bath with warm water. This will reduce the temperature of your baby as the water evaporates off their bodies.
- Liquid fluids like Water, Juices, Soups, etc, are good for your baby. Give them plenty of fluid.
- Add two spoon of ginger powder in lukewarm water and give your baby a bath with this water for about 10 minutes. The ginger helps induce sweating, which flushes out impurities.
- Separate the egg white from egg yolk and beat them until it gets a smooth texture. Now dip two small washcloths in this mixture and soak them about a minute. Wrap the soaked washcloths around your child’s feet and cover them with a loose pair of socks to hold them in place. Leave them for an hour. Egg whites are protein-rich and can absorb a high amount of thermal energy.
- Mix some honey with lemon juice and half a teaspoon of ginger powder. Give one tablespoon of this mixture daily to your baby
- Onion can help lower body temperature and relieves body ache caused by fever. Rub 2-3 slices of onion on your child’s feet daily for 2 minutes.
Published on: 24th October 2019
No, teething doesn’t causes fever, diarrhea, diaper rash or runny nose.
1. Place a damp wash cloth on your baby’s forehead while they are sleeping.
2. Give them plenty of fluid.
3. Mix some honey with lemon juice and half a teaspoon of ginger powder. Give one table spoon of this mixture daily to your baby.
This totally depends on type of infection. If fever is caused due to virus then it might last for 2-3 days or maximum 2 week. A fever caused by a bacterial infection may continue until the child is treated with an antibiotic.