When bacteria from skin or rectum enter the urethra, they infect the urethra. These infections are known as Urinary Tract Infections or UTIs. These are common infections and can be cured.Women are more prone to get a Urinary Tract Infection as compared to men.
All you need to know about urine infection
Types of Urinary Tract Infections:
Urinary Tract Infections can be of the following types:
• Urethritis: specifically, an infection in your urethra.
• Cystitis: particularly an infection in your bladder.
• Pyelonephritis: commonly an infection type in your kidneys.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection:
Urinary Tract infections may occur due to various reasons. These reasons may include one or more of the following causes:
• A previous Urinary Tract Infection(UTI)
• Sexual activity, especially a new partner
• Age(older adults and young children)
• Change in bacteria which live inside the vagina
• Poor hygiene
• Female anatomy (shorter length of urethra in women)
• Weak immune system
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infections or UTIs:
The following symptoms can be considered to detect a Urinary Tract Infection or UTI:
In case of kidney infection (pyelonephritis):
• Upper back and side pain
• Shaking and chills
• Nausea or vomiting
In case of bladder infection (cystitis):
• Pressure or cramping in the groin or lower abdomen area
• An extreme urge to urinate despite having an empty bladder
• Frequent urination
• Painful urination
• Blood in urine
In case of urethral infection (urethritis):
• Burning sensation during urination
Complications of Urinary tract infections or UTIs:
An untreated Urinary Tract Infection or UTI may lead to some serious consequences. Such complications might include the following:
• Recurrent infections, especially in women who have suffered two or more Urinary Tract Infections within 6 months.
• Permanent kidney damage from an acute or chronic kidney infection which might be in most of the times caused due to an untreated Urinary Tract Infection.
• Urethral narrowing in men from recurrent urethritis.
• Increased risk of delivering low birth weight or premature infants in pregnant women is common as a major complication.
Prevention of Urinary Tract Infection:
The following steps can be incorporated to reduce the risk of a Urinary Tract Infection:
• Drink plenty of water
• Drink cranberry juice
• Empty the bladder soon after an intercourse
• Wipe from front to back
• Avoid potentially irritating feminine products
• Change your birth control method
Medical help in case of Urinary Tract Infections or UTIs:
In case of a Urinary Tract Infection, a doctor may make some recommendations which can include the following:
• Low-dose antibiotics may be prescribed.
• While in constant touch with doctor, self-diagnosis and treatment may be recommended.
• In case the infection is related to sexual activity, a single dose of antibiotics may be recommended.
• A post-menopaustal patient might be recommended a vaginal therapy.
Some of the best urologists do their chamber sessions in Delhi, and it is highly recommended to consult the best urologist in Delhi, if you are a nearby resident. If not, there are many good hospitals and renowned doctors who might help with the same. Urine infections are critical and thus must be treated with no delay what so ever.
Published on: 01st April 2021